How education in the mother tongue in primary years of schools can elevate education outcome
“Let the language express your thoughts”
The first important thing a child learns after his/her birth is to speak and speak in his/her birth language said to be as mother tongue. It is then the school that shapes child’s growth by training their brain. It is also found that children can be multilingual simultaneously effectively. With 7000 languages spoken worldwide, languages are the best medium to connect with anyone and it is necessary to ensure this from primary education in childhood itself. Essential platform to promote the importance of language is the education space.
The recent rise of the leading EdTech brands ensures Child’s comprehensive development by supporting the development of language skills amongst students. Constraining high drop rates and repetition rates in the classroom.
Why knowing the mother-tongue is important?
Improve Your Education with Multilingualism
UNESCO has recommended that classes in primary schools will make students learn to read and write in their mother tongue. Also, according to the national education policy issued in India, the medium of expression until at least grade five or beyond will be based on the student’s mother tongue or local or regional language. Three language formulas will continue to be implemented in schools, where 2 of 3 will be native to India.
Children understand their mother tongue easily as since birth it is what they have been introduced to. It makes the transition to school education smooth and easy. Complex concepts at some time not explained in the language they understand resulting in a slower rate of learning. Learning in one’s language help students express themselves better. Helping teachers who find it difficult to explain concepts in English and are not able to transfer knowledge properly creates a knowledge deficit.
What are the challenges faced by the students?
A familiar language can make it easy for learners to engage & grasp the concept better. Though most of the educational institutions across India still have content in single language which might not make it easy for the learner to experience conceptual learning and become a barrier in achieving academic excellence. However different measures have been taken by Government & leading EdTech brands to tackle few major challenges in terms of creating a holistic learning experience.
- Unavailability of content in regional languages
- More focus on decoding the language rather than on understanding the concept
- Very low student participation
- High dropouts in remote & rural areas due to lack of interest in subject
- A week basic learning foundation poses problems for learners during higher education years
- Aggregating Digital Divide to access quality sessions & resources
How learning in the mother tongue is elevating the educational outcome?
Suppose a child going to class tries to understand the concepts which he has never heard of, very excited to attend class but the language which is used as a medium of teaching creates a barrier for that child. Adopting a new language takes time, leading the child to get away from learning or in another case leaving them demotivated completely.
Vice-versa if first-class becomes a happy class for a child there is continuity in learning which is being ensured by engaging classrooms with the mother tongue. With the recent reforms in the education system of India the inclusion of mother tongue in classrooms.
- Equips children with language skills -
- Improves knowledge deficit
- Offers deeper understanding of the concepts
- Increased sense of well-being and confidence
- Inclusion of quality education
- Strong foundation years lead to better performance in higher education
- Foster mutual understanding and respect
- Preserve the cultural and traditional heritage
- Ability to learn effectively by engaging with the content
- Increase learner participation in classes
How are language labs with Hindi/English helping students in improving their language skills?
Though regional languages can prepare the learner to create a strong foundation of education but in further years it is imperative to have knowledge of the focus languages of Hindi & English which are used widely. Thus, educational institutions should also include language learning from the beginning of academic years. Digital Language Labs create the perfect environment to learn a language in the most engaging & self-paced way.
- Language Lab software provides progressive learning programs from Elementary to Advanced levels.
- Systematically arranged content in digital language lab acquiring the important reading and writing skills on which base of a student depends.
- Inbuilt multimedia files like images and videos in language labs for schools can be used by teachers and students to facilitate learning.
- The student to be an expert evaluator of correct pronunciation through intonation exercises to polish the language by mastering different pitches, pace, and volume.
- The teacher is free to focus his attention on an individual student's performance by the assessment features language lab for schools provides.
- Based on Instructor-led & classroom based structure it offers a holistic learning environment for learners with proper guidance
Draw to a close
Language is the symbol of the unification of India therefore it needs to be protected and promoted to make it secure. Protecting the language from waning away we must allow our future generation to understand the real roots and culture of their belongingness. What multilingualism will ensure is the excellence of children by accepting the technology-enabled learning environment and making an innovative, progressive, and enthusiastic solution for building the future of the nation.